What to do if...

My child is unwell and I need to report an absence

Contact the school office on the morning of the absence (ideally before 9am) either by telephone or by email. Mrs Bevan will make a note on the register.

I need to change the end of day arrangements for my child

Phone the school office. You may be asked to put the change in writing, particularly if it relates to the school bus or Happy Days/After 8s– this is so that we have a written record of the change as the bus/after school places are pre-booked. If it is a change to Happy Days or After 8s arrangements, you also need to contact the provider directly yourself.

I would like to know more about homework

Lots of policies are online on our school website – have a look and get in touch with school either by email or phone if you can’t find what you are looking for.

I have a query or a concern about my child’s classwork or homework – e.g. spellings.

Email the office and they will forward the email to the relevant teacher. You don’t have to explain everything in the email – you can request for the teacher to call you or request a meeting with the classteacher.

Please bear in mind that teachers are not able to access emails while they are teaching. If it is something urgent then another option is to phone the school office and request that the member of staff rings you back when they are avaiable.

Something happened last night that might impact on my child the next day

This information can either be passed on to the member of staff on the gate or, if you ask to pop into school before the day starts (ie before 8:50am) then you can pass that information straight to the class teacher. If you need longer than a quick chat please make this known – if a longer meeting is urgent then you will be offered a meeting with Mrs Ross or Mr Sposton as all teaching staff have class responsibility from 8:50am. If you neeed a longer chat but it is not urgent, please arrange a meeting at the end of the day, through the school office

I need to know the term dates:

These are on the school website.

I need a holiday absence request form:

These are available to download from the school webiste. Also on the website you will be able to find guidance about exceptional circumstances. As a school we promote being at school over and above most other actitives during term time. Even though you may feel that a family trip to Centre Parks will be educational, to us, school is still the first priority for your child. There are very few exceptional circumstances – please see the website. This is Government policy and the Governors have discussed and agreed the information on the website. Please remember also that since September 2017, fines have been re-introduced for holidays in term time.

I am worried that my child is being bullied

Email the office to request the class teacher calls you to arrange a meeting with you. You don’t have to explain everything in the email – you can request for the teacher to call you or request a meeting with the class teacher. All concerns are taken seriously and are investigated. You will be contacted again to discuss the outcomes and resolutions.

My child is unhappy at school

Email the office to request the class teacher calls you to arrange a meeting with you. Its helpful in preparation for the meeting for you to have had a chat with your child about what the reasons for this are. It is our priority that children are happy in school so let us know sooner rather than later and we can work together to make things better.

My child is finding the work too easy or too hard

Email the office and request the class teacher gets in touch with you – the teacher will be able to share your child’s books and talk about the progress they are making and why the work has been pitched at a partiular level.

I can’t park near school

Unfortunately, there aren’t enough parking space near the school. Please allow time for this when you plan your journey to work. The school is working with the Highways agency and the local parish council. It helps if parents walk their child to school whenever possible. We do have a system for cars turning at the end of the cul-de-sac – please see the school website for a full explanation. This helps to ease some of the congestion problems. Please remember not to park where access is blocked to residents driveways/shared access drives or double park so that other vehicles can’t easily pass through.

My child wants a school dinner

School dinners can be requested on a day by day basis. Payment is made via ParentPay – the log in details are issued when your child starts school. The menu is on the school website. Your child chooses what they want when they get to the kitchen when it is their class turn for dinners.

My child wants a packed lunch

No problem – even if your child normally has school dinners, they can bring a packed lunch. The chidlren get asked each morning what their lunch arrangements are.

My child has forgotten to take their packed lunch to school

Once we realise that this has happened, we call parents to see if there is a chance of it being brought into school. If not, we let parents know and provide a school dinner. Your child wouldn’t be left without any dinner.

My child has forgotten their PE kit/music instrument

Once we realise this has happened, we call parents to see if there is a chance of it being brought in. If this isn’t possible don’t worry – but it is worth us just asking! Your child will have another job to do during PE for example referee or taking notes of learning points. Or, for music lessons, they will borrow a percussion instrument.

I have a suggestion for the (e.g. reading) system in school/my child’s class

Contact the Parent Councillor for your class. They can bring up suggestions and ideas which will be fed back to the class teachers. Alternatively, you could email your suggestion to the school office. We love to hear suggestions and ideas to help us improve. Please remember that there may be other reasons behind systems that are in place and staff may not be able to make all changes suggested.

I have heard of a great idea that is done in another school

Contact the Parent Councillor for your class – you can speak to them in person or email them. They can bring up the idea in the next Parent Council meeting. We love to hear new ideas and it would be great to discuss it at the next Parent Council meeting. Alternatively, you can email your idea to the school office.

My child has lost an item of clothing e.g. coat or jumper in school

We have a lost property basket near the Year 5 classroom. If you would like to look in it at the beginning or end of the day, let a member of staff know and they will let you in to have a look. Try to encourage and remind your child to have a look in the lost property themsleves too. It always surprises staff to see the number of items in lost property including new coats and jumpers. A helpful tip is to put names in new items before they are worn at school. That way, when lost property is sorted out, anything with a name in can be returned straight to the child. We love to reunite items with their owner but it is very difficult if it doesn’t have a name in!

Contact Us

Hermitage Primary School, Hermitage Drive, Holmes Chapel, Cheshire CW4 7NP