Subject Leader: Mrs Cox
At Hermitage Primary School we believe in the importance of early language learning and, above all, we believe that learning a language should be fun!
Our planning is based on the iLanguages scheme of work, which covers all the components of the National Curriulum for Languages. KS1 children are introduced to French through the Headstart Languages ‘Learning French with Camembear’ Scheme.
Our curriculum for Languages aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop an interest, curiosity and deeper understanding of the French language and culture through listening, speaking, reading and writing in a variety of contexts.
- Develop a love of learning languages, which builds foundations for, and continues into the next phase of their education.
- Understand and respond to spoken and written French from a variety of authentic sources, for example, songs, rhymes, stories, video clips.
- Speak in French with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, expressing ideas and thoughts and finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation.
- Can write in French at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, including for practical purposes using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt.
- Discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the French language.